Thursday, September 11, 2008

God Bless The USA-We Shall Never Forget


WOW, 7 years have come and gone and where are we now. Being a military wife, and mother of 3 this day is such a moment in time that we will NEVER forget.


I was not alive when Kennedy was shot. But I have always heard about people saying they remember where they were when he was shot. I never could really relate, because nothing in my life time had affected me that much, until 7 years ago.


I have to say that Sept. of 2001 had to be the WORST month of my entire life. My best friend, and precious grand mother, Ma we called her, died the first week of Sept. It was HORRIBLE. My Dad is an only child, so we did not have to share his parents with any other grand children. Which I have to say is the BEST thing in the world. She played with me just like a little kid. I lost count at how many mud pies I made that she ate. And she was the best customer, Sally Jump, at my "bank". She fueled my love of all things rock. My great uncle, her brother, sent me a box of rocks from the Black Hills, and I loved them. I, of course, picked every rock out of the drive way with a little sparkle, and Ma found a big box for me to glue them in. She took me to the pond to catch frogs for a race in 4-H. She was just the greatest grand mother ever. I just wanted to write about her today because I miss her so much. And I know she is always there for me, and she helped me save my son from Lyme disease, and she helped rock my baby to sleep when I was so exhausted I could not hold my head up. So, if your grandmother is still on this earth, give her a big hug and kiss, and let her know how much she means to you.


We were actually on the way to her apartment to clean it out, when on the radio, it said that the pentagon had just been hit. I told my sister, "no way, it is too well guarded. Andrews is right there, and they would not let that happen." Then when we got to her apartment we turned on the TV, and saw that the 2 towers had been hit. We, my dad, brother, and 2 sisters, stood there in awe of what was happening. I am getting chills just writing about it. THEN, oh my gosh, they fell. We all GASPED!!! I could not speak, I am not sure we were breathing. We just stood there. I am not sure if we moved for the next hour, but it was just so horrific, and I still cannot believe it happened. At first, they were saying 20-30,000 people were dead. And thank goodness, it was so much less, not that any was good. But as we all know for the next few weeks, we saw nothing else.


For the next months, I saw something I was so proud of. Being a military wife, we are VERY patriotic. We have lived in other countries, and other parts of the US. And I can tell you this IS the best country in the world, and I LOVE IT!!! But every where we went there were flags on display. In the busy intersections of major streets, there were people holding banners, and waving full sized flags. EVERYONE had a flag on their car. People were PROUD to be AMERICANS. It was AWESOME!!! But I feel some how we have forgotten that again. People need to remember how we became the greatest country in the world. And that we need to be thankful that we have brave men and women willing to die for this country and our freedom.


The next Tuesday of the month my son ended up in the ER, then the hospital, and then 3 blood transfusions. That is a story for another time.


Just remember that freedom is NEVER free, and if you see a man or woman in uniform, thank them for their sacrifice for your family. Or if you see someone in a Veterans hat, thank them for their service to our country. Stay safe and blessed.

No comments: